Community Assistance

Looking for assistance? There are several options within our area. This will be a growing & expanding resource.

If you’re looking for food assistance, please check-out all the Feeding America-supported food pantries in the region by clicking here (listed by county). This isn’t exhaustive of all food pantries, but it lists the majority.

Guilford County:

  • Good Samaritan Ministries of Stokesdale operates specifically in the Stokesdale area of NW Guilford County. Offering food distribution once a month and emergency financial assistance.
  • Guilford Low Income Energy Assistance Program is offered for Guilford County families. The federal government created Low Income Energy Assistance Program provides a one-time cash grant payment to help eligible low-income families pay their electric and heating bills. 1203 Maple Street, Greensboro, North Carolina 27405. Call (336) 641-3000.
  • Guilford County Department of Social Services may be able to offer temporary financial assistance and cash grants for paying rent and utilities. Help may be provided for local county residents who may be experiencing personal crisis when other resources, including government programs, are not available. Call (336) 845-7756.
  • Greensboro Urban Ministry administers the Emergency Assistance Program (EAP) which provides household goods, free food, clothing, and financial aid to people in need in the Greensboro, North Carolina area. The EAP program does have some qualification, and counselors will interview clients for financial assistance by written referral only. Referrals need to be made by the Department of Social Services or by other EAP approved human services agencies or charities in the area. Additionally, money for resources for emergency assistance are available for security deposits for rent, water, electric, and gas, past due rent, utility bills, past due mortgage payments, food, and clothing. The Greensboro Urban Ministry also operates a food pantry on the site.
  • Crysalis Counseling & Consultation Center, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is committed to promoting access to quality, compassionate and affordable mental health and pastoral counseling services through building partnerships that empower persons to live productive and meaningful lives. We do so by adhering to the following core values and practices: Promoting, Educating, Advocating, Collaborating and Empowering. It is affiliated with the Western North Carolina Conference of The United Methodist Church.
  • Open Door Ministries of High Point offers emergency assistance programs for those in need of help, such as food, rent assistance, a soup kitchen, shelter, and clothing. They are based in High Point, North Carolina, but provide a number of services to those that qualify for assistance.
  • St. Vincent de Paul Society is based in Greensboro and provides financial assistance of up to $50.00 to help pay for rent, utilities, cooling bills, rent, and prescription medications. The program also provides secondhand furniture to those in need. Call (336) 272-0336.
  • High Point Salvation Army is a United Way funded nonprofit agency. The organization can offer emergency assistance for paying rent, electric bills, utilities, food, household products and furniture. They offer extensive emergency and transitional housing for families, children and single women, and also run a Boy’s and Girl’s Club. 301 Thrift Shops, Clothing Banks, and other aid offered too. Call (336) 881-5400.
  • Greensboro Housing Authority – Offers affordable apartment and housing communities across Greensboro and Guilford County. There is often a waiting list as the capacity of the HUD service is limited. The low income and seniors can access public housing, rental assistance to qualified applicants, and apply for the Section 8 rent subsidy program. Other programs from GHA include Family Self-Sufficiency and Neighborhood Resource Centers. 450 North Church Street, Greensboro, North Carolina 27401. Call (336) 275-8501.